The islands collectively known as “Tahiti” and officially known as French Polynesia, actually consist of 118 individual islands located in five island groups: the Society Islands, the Tuamotus, the Marquesas, the Austral and the Gambier archipelago.
The Society Islands are the most popular island group including the main island of Tahiti and its capital city of Papeete, as well as popular vacation islands of Moorea,Bora Bora, Huahine, Raiatea, and Tahaa.
The Tuamotu Islands are known for their outstanding diving and snorkeling including the islands of Manihi, Tikehau, Rangiroa,and Fakarava.
The Marquesas Islands are historically significant with their ancient stone tikis, as well as the final resting place of poet Jacque Brel and painter Paul Gauguin.
The ocean waters around the Austral Islands are famous for their humpback whale migration from July to November.
We are happy to offer the following resources to help you research and plan the perfect vacation. Our staff make regular visits to French Polynesia and this information is regularly updated.
- Best of Tahiti - Listing of our favorites, gathered from client feedback and personal experiences.
- Diving - Information for diving in French Polynesia
- Romance & Weddings - Planning a wedding or honeymoon? Check here for ideas.
- Spa - Listing of spas in French Polynesia
- Cruises - Information on cruises that visit the islands
- Tahiti Weather - What to expect from the weather.
- Tahiti Travel Tips - General tips for anyone planning a trip.
- Ask Our Experts - Have a question? Ask us!